Working with case studies and data

Thursday, July 23, 2015

This week I've been focused on pulling in real data and starting to build out multiple case studies.

Below is a screenshot from the development site of the observation data for gorse.

I've integrated the infoboxes into the site as well, pulling text and position of these boxes from a separate csv file. Right now I'm only displaying simple dummy text on one of the case studies.


My main concern now is accurately representing the data, While the narratives of my case studies are supported in scientific literature, and I do believe the data I've pulled bear them out, I want to make sure that I'm not coaxing the information to make a point. I'm interested to read more about how bias is injected into data projects. 

I'm also concerned with being able to show clear discrepancies when there are large differences in values-- the differences between thousands of observations and just a few, such as in the iceplant case study below:


The real data is not rendering quite as well as my dummy data, and I now question the value of the bottom line chart. I'm beginning to think perhaps this space could hold a line chart for some of the case studies, but that the space might hold other visualizations, images, or text, for others.


I also continue to struggle with how the physical presentation of my project will manifest. I think I've decided to scrap the origami idea as it's just too disjointed and not connected to the site I'm developing. After receiving feedback that it might be tricky to program LeapMotion for a seamless user experience, I think I've also laid that idea to rest. Right now I'm thinking using MaKey MaKey with actual plants, or incorporating LEDs into real plants, might be the best way to go. Since the website is already being developed for touch interaction, another idea is to display a large tablet for user interaction, and have that projected, much larger, onto the wall of the gallery.